Monday, May 11, 2009

Motivation

My goal is to stay in shape and be healthy. I do like to exercise, but having the time is another story. With working full time and having an active 9 years old and a husband in school it's hard to prioritize working out. When I get home from work there is homework, dinner, piano, laundry, gymnastics, cleaning the house, yard work etc, etc. Taking time for myself, after I have been gone all day, makes me feel guilty, but it is also a necessity. This last month I have been lacking in motivation. The weather has been warming up and exercising outside is now perfect. I like to take advantage of our Utah Springs and Falls when the weather is just right for jogging or biking.
My friend Marianne and I work together and we know how hectic our schedules can be, and she has 2 younger kids besides. We want to be healthy and lose weight, so we decide to join the 100 mile club. Our city of Providence has a club where you keep track of your mileage walked our ran and after 100 miles you bring it in for a prize. Marianne and I decided to join and the first one to 100 miles the other person has to take them to dinner. I am a little too competitive sometimes and challenges like this really get me going.
We signed up last Monday. We also have to eat well. I didn't have a pop all week and I love my Diet Mountain Dew. I have cut my sweets down, that right there, is an accomplishment for me, the sweets lover.
So far I have 19.25 miles down and 80.75 miles left to go. I have felt way more motivated and have even run on my treadmill before work. I will keep you updated on my progress. I am hoping to be finished the week of my birthday.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

i was reading some papre i got in the mail the other day about how to train for a marathon. it interested me. but, there is no time really i could actually train! someday, when the kids are bigger i think..even though i am a stay at home mom, i sometimes feel busier than the president! good job finding the time, i know you are busy too, good luck on the 100 miles

Heidi said...

We are definitely related - I'm lacking in my exercise motivation lately too and would have a hard time giving up the soda!

In the pictures I've seen recently, I think you look fantastic! The 100 mile club sounds like a great motivator though, good luck on your progress!!

Camille Schmidt said...

Good luck on the challenge! It's always nice to have something to work towards. I've begun to enjoy running again lately too. I'm working towards meeting my goal weight by Sophie's first birthday, June 15th. Isn't your birthday in June? Good luck!

Marianne said...

Stop being so good. You're making it really hard for me too keep up haha. At this rate you'll make it in half the time it takes me. :)

About Us said...

We need to live closer, cause I need a workout partner. I must say I am shocked to hear that you cut back on sweets:) LOL good job & keep up the good work!! luv ya!

Camille said...

Keep up the good work Darcie. I just ran my first 1/2 marathon last saturday. It went better than expected. I knew I had to register for something like that in order to motivate myself to excercise. Now I am looking to register for something new, so I don't lose my motivation.