Monday, August 3, 2009

Happy 90th Birthday Grandma Welling

August 1st was my Grandma's 90th birthday. We had a huge party with all her family. We celebrated at "This is the Place State Park" in SLC.
My Grandma is very special to me and has always been like my 2nd mother. I grew up next door to her and saw her everyday. She taught me many lessons in life and has always been my friend.
Harmony and my Mom planned this party. It was not an easy thing to do with there being 62 people in the family now. They did a great job and the party went off without a hitch.
Friday night, most of the cousin's met at the Cheesecake Factory to eat and catch up on life. My family then stayed at the University Guest House. The next morning we headed to the park. We had our own house reserved just for the party.

The park is old fashion and fun. Here the girls are making their own candles

Abbey, Todd and Cache on the mini train. Abbey currently lives and takes care of my Grandma. She does such a great job and we all appreciate all her hard work.

Here the girls are in a tee pee where they got to make arrowhead necklaces.

A large train drove around the park and gave a tour of the area.

The school house was fun. Hayden was suppose to read a book for the class, but she was unable to read the Brigham Young phonetic alphabet. She was punished by the teacher for not doing her homework and..........

She had to sit in front of the class with a "DUNCE" hat on. It was fun for the girls to imagine they were pioneers.
At 5 p.m. all of the family arrived to the house. We took a big group photo & ate a fabulous dinner. It was so fun to visit with all my cousins, a few I hadn't seen since my Grandma's 80th birthday.

After dinner we had a program for my Grandma. Britany, Halli and Hayden played a piano duet that my Grandma had taught Britany as a young girl.

The a few sang favorite songs of my Grandma. I was so cute to see my Grandma sing and remember all the words. Cannon sang a song.

Layna sang and actually got an on core. She is amazing. There is real musical talent in this family. Then we watched a video slideshow of my Grandma's life.
We all had a great time and couldn't believe it was really coming to an end. We may be having another party in about ten years. My Grandma is the youngest of 8 children. She has an older brother 92 yrs and a sister 101 yrs still alive.

We love you Grandma and are so thankful for you in our lives.




4 comments:

About Us said...

How fun for your grandma, and all of your family to be together. I still remember her & Rhoada walking every morning and all the good candy she used to make. I can't believe she is 90, I hope she had a great day!

camille said...

Don't ya just love grandma's. We had a birthday party for my grandma on Sunday. She turned 98. I don't think I want to live that long. I guess it isn't up to me.

Camille Schmidt said...

Wow that party looked like a lot of fun, and work! You look great Darcie!

Salmon Tolman Family said...

What an awesome reason to all get together! It sounds like the party was a real hit! That is so neat that she has been such an important part of your life, and still is.