Saturday, August 29, 2009

TOP OF UTAH Half Marathon

Today was the Top of Utah Half Marathon. I have been running with Amy, my neighbor most of the summer. She and my sisters talked me into running the half marathon. It didn't sound that fun to me, but at least it was a goal to train towards. We trained about 3-6 days a week. On Saturdays we did long runs. I ran the 13.1 miles 2 weeks ago by myself and last week the four of us did 10 miles of the race course. It was a relief to know I had already done it and knew what to expect and feel afterwards.
This morning, Jeremy dropped us up at the finish line so we could be bused up to the starting line. We could not believe how many people were there tho run. At least 3 thousand. Bus after bus after bus left to haul the runners up the mountain.

The course route was a scenic one, starting up BlackSmith's Fork Canyon and ending at Zollinger Park here in Providence. The Canyon was beautiful and the canyon wind's felt really nice as we ran. My goal was to beat my time that I has set on the 1st day I ran the distance. I beat it by 20 mins, coming in about 2:11.
Amy and I ran the whole thing together. I was grateful for her encouragement, she really set the pace. Between the miles of 9-10 I started to get worn down, but we didn't stop or walk. The weather couldn't have been nicer, overcast and slightly cooler than normal.


The people on the side lines cheered us on and that really helped. We sprinted through to the finish line and were happy at the time we made. Jeremy, my parents, Grandma and my brother were there to see us finish.

We all did it! Way to go girls!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I am so super proud of you!!! I am nowhere close to being able to run a marathon. It is definitely on my list of things to do. I can't imagine the rush after crossing the finish line.

Camille Schmidt said...

Wow, awesome time Darcie!! You are such a great athlete, I admire the way you set goals and work at them until you complete the goal. Congratulations!

Dan n Ash said...

Good job, maybe I'll be joining you next year! Sounds like a good course.

Camille Roylance said...

Nice Job Darc, What a great accomplishment. Are you up for another one, or is that it? Either way congratulations.

About Us said...

Way 2 go girl! That is awesome, and how fun to run w/ your sisters!! GOOD JOB!